Saturday 28 February 2015

Role in Film 2 - 'Hi Zoe'

After picking which idea we wanted to go forward with, we all picked which area of the film we wanted to work on. I found that I am stronger in the pre-production stage so I was tasked with writing the script for our film. Despite this, I still assisted on the day of the shoot by capturing some establishing shots which ultimately went unused in order to fit the running time. Interestingly, one of the critical complains about our film at the showing is that the film could have used some more shots so I wonder if the film would look more interesting if we did ultimately make use of those establishing shots.

As I mentioned when discussing the ideas, I was intrigued by two of our ideas (admittedly, one of them was my idea so I would naturally approve of it) so I actually wrote out scripts for two films just in case we wanted to use one over the other. While I did manage to write out most of the script easily, there were moments that I had trouble with and hit writer's block however I was in college at the time so I luckily had a friend's input to help push me to finishing it. I also had assistance from a lecturer in order to make the script more aimed towards a film script rather than a general script. This meant that I had to instruct the camera and describe, in detail, what was actually in the shot.

Something interesting that we did with out film was take the script and give the actors room to expand on the characters and make it their own. We also cut down one character's dialogue in order to make them more vulnerable and isolated as well as make the other character's dialogue stand out more. I suppose it would be accurate to say that this film is based on a script written by me rather than out right saying that I wrote the dialogue for the film. The ending monologue was also added on the day of shooting and perfectly encapsulate what I was trying to convey in my script.

Looking back, I am very proud of the script. When we screened it, the writing was one of most praised elements of the film so I feel as though it was a success. I enjoy script writing and, as I've said, I still have a script for another one of our ideas that we didn't follow through with so I can still call on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment