Wednesday 27 January 2016

Comparative Film Practices: Characters for Film

The grounding on which I built the characters on is derived from Donald A. Norman's The Invisible Computer*, specifically the seven chapter on 'Being Analogue'. The main draw from this is the Machine-Centered and Human-Centered Views.

Seeing the contrast between people and machines inspired me to create two characters, one who represents humanity and one who represents machines. Applying the idea that Vinton represents the internet, this was easier to pull off. The two main elements that stuck out between Vinton and Eleanor are their contrast between Vague and Precise (Eleanor having no lines compared to Vinton's numerous) and Attentive to Change and Insensitive to Change (Eleanor learns to let go off Vinton's bonds while he's left scrambling for her phone)

For Robert Vinton. I came up with his name by compiling together the names of the two men who are responsible for the Internet, Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf. While they didn't outright create the internet, they are the two most often associated as doing so as they created the TCP which is the protocol that allows programs such as the World Wide Web to work, ergo giving the world access to the internet.

As to be expected with most of my films, I was hoping to play the role myself however, unlike most cases where it was required, I am writing this role specifically for me as I've always wanted to perform a character like Vinton. My long, unkempt hair would also work well in contrast to the suit and glasses, much like how Kilgrave from Jessica Jones appears to be well kept except for the unshaven stubble.

*Norman, Donald A. The Invisible Computer. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1998. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment